Pathio Users

Perimeter start location coordinate improvements (visualisation, relative/absolute coords)

Suggestion Summary

Show perimeter start location as a visualisation in the slicer when the Quality tab is active.
Allow perimeter start location to be set as either a global (fixed on the bed) coordinate, or relative to the model/group

Why is this useful?

Allowing perimeters to be moved allows for better control over model quality, but its nice to be able to visualise where the perimeter is trying to be closest to. So a vertical line in the slicer window showing the coords that its currently set at is very useful (if its within the print boundaries - I know setting it to 1000000,1000000 means it doesn’t need to be shown!)
having relative vs absolute coords is useful for easily configuring for a variety of models, particularly if they are different models. E.g. you may want a particular cylindrical item to have a perimeter seam on the back, and a different model on the same print bed to have the perimeter on the inside of a concave section.
Setting

• Do other slicers do this?:
    unaware of any slicers that visualise the perimeter starting location coordinates
    i know Cura does offer relative/absolute position of those coordinates.

Screenshots/Supporting Info

N/A

2 Likes

This is a great suggestion and I like the UI implementation suggestion. In fantasy land it would be great to be able to draw the seam line on with and ‘pencil’ like tool.

It’s also important that we can represent where the seam will be in the GCode preview.

1 Like

I agree with @sanjay that drawing on the seam would be ideal (especially per island). I think top priority at the moment is showing retraction moves in the gcode (as well as travel moves), and that’ll at least be step 1 to solve the Z-seam location communication (both would take UI dev time, see). Does that sound like the right priority @chompworks?

1 Like

Sure - this is “Nice to have” territory, but showing retraction definitely makes sense first.

I like the idea of drawing the seam too. I could imagine it being particularly nice if it snaps to nearest model vertex. My only concern with drawing seams on would be working with models that have split into more island numbers at different layer heights. e.g. imagine printing a comb, with the teeth straight up. It’s easy for a slicer to compute a perimeter’s nearest point to a coord for each of those teeth. Forcing a human to do it could be painful though.
If the long term goal is to draw on seams, I suggest its designed so that the ability to draw the seam is used to override the auto-generated seam. So then if a person wants to draw the seam for that comb example, they can then draw the seam for no teeth, 1 teeth, 5 teeth or all teeth, but the slicer will have already picked a seam to start with for each tooth that they are then overriding if they choose to.
[apologies if thats a bit wordy - just trying to convey that if you choose to draw a seam, you shouldn’t be forced to draw the seam for all the geometry]

1 Like

@chompworks I think seam modification is not that different to the talked about support generation, which allows manual modifications afterwards. You wouldn’t really want to draw all the support either.