Pathio Users

Retraction settings placed on the filament definitions?

Suggestion Summary

Would it make sense to have the retraction settings on the filament definitions?.

Why is this useful?

Normally the retraction settings is closely related to the filament kind, placing the retraction settings togheter with the filament settings would ensure each filament has a proper retraction setting.

• Do other slicers do this?:
    Not sure.

Screenshots/Supporting Info

1 Like

This is something i’ve wanted to see in other slicers before, especially when printing flexibles and petg; which tend to need drastically different retration settings than other materials. Retraction is almost always related to material, so it would make sense for retraction to be with material settings.

However, retraction based on the material would be less than ideal for users with dual extruder setups, where one extruder requires different retraction settings than the other (think 1 direct drive, 1 bowden.). In this situation, it would be easy for a user to set material for a tool, then set the retraction, but it would be nice to be reminded which tool # is associated with the material at that point.

1 Like

Probably you are right, I am located in the low-end printing community. Not sure about how many printers with dual extruders are in the field versus the ones with single extruder inside low-end. My suggestion was based on my own workshop, (five printers all of them with single extruder), but the advent of the MM Prusa I3 and other similar printers may change the spectrum in the low end market.

You could have the option to set a retraction modifier and override toggle. So you dial in retraction for the hotend/extruder setup, and the the material setting modifiers this based on beforementioned value.
Then having a toggle for override instead of modify, for very special filaments, will cover most needs.

Retraction remains an extremely tricky setting because it varies by filament, printer, and tool (HotEnd + Extruder combo). We’ve thought about having some kind of modifier in the filament settings but my guess is that that is too opaque for folks to use effectively.

We’ve also thought about potentially adding “rules” to filaments, so when you tell Pathio you’ve got one loaded it overwrites particular settings (speed, temperature, retraction, you name it). I’m also not 100% sure that this covers all the cases we want it to, and haven’t made sure that it would play nice with all of our other systems.

One other possibility is to leverage a tuning wizard (Printer fine tuning wizard (Retraction)) as well…

2 Likes

All of my printers are direct drive and I rarely change retraction settings. In general for PLA, ABS and PETG I use about the same retraction. I am more likely to adjust retraction based on the printer and/or the model and not so much the filament.
I would prefer retraction settings to be grouped with coast and wipe type settings.

Which PETG brand are you using?.
All my printers are also direct drive. For PLA, ABS and ASA I agree the retraction settings could be the same, but for PETG I need to strongly tweak the retraction settings to avoid stringing. Also for flexible is mandatory to reduce retraction a lot. Having some kind of retraction setting on the filament could be useful for me.

I mainly use eSun and Hatchbox PETG. I normally only use one printer for PETG prints since it does an outstanding job (it also does PLA and ABS) and I almost never change the retraction. 0.8mm @ 35-40mm/s.
I might tweak it for PETG a little but usually that is only where I might have a lot of small, quick retractions to help avoid any heat creep.
Some stringing is inevitable.

I agree, flexibles are a whole different game.

I use Real3D PETG and by retracting 7.0/30 and the layer fan at 50% I get minimal stringing, some parts (depending on shape and infill) come out clean.
Before that I was always getting a small filament melt ball at the nozzle end that was growing with the part, that ended dropping.

That accumulation on the nozzle can indicate a slight over extrusion. This is common with PETG.
Try reducing the extrusion multiplier just a bit such as 0.95 to 0.94 and see how it does.

Thanks for pointing it out.
I’ve started from zero again, and with a extrusion of 2 (length) and 35 (speed), and applying a little underextrusion as you stated, I can finally print parts without stringing.
Many thanks!!.
Now trying 0.52 beta 0.

3 Likes