Pathio Users

We need your help: Identifying broken Mesh (STL) files

Throughout our testing and user feedback we have encountered many occasions where an issue is related to a broken Mesh (STL) file. We are looking into how we handle bad models, and how to notify you.

We would really appreciate if you could answer the below questions and please feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions you may have.

• Do you ever think about whether you need to repair the model you’re printing?
  • How should Pathio tell you there’s a problem with your model? (And when should it tell you?)
  • What do you do when you have a broken model?

Thank you in advance for your feedback! We are excited to see your suggestions.

3 Likes
    Yes, I run every model through my copy of Netfabb 2019. It is a simple process and good insurance to not have a failed customer print.

• How should Pathio tell you there’s a problem with your model? (And when should it tell you?)
    I think it should give some basic info when the STL is loaded to warn of possible issues.
    Maybe also give some info when sliced for any issues found there. Advise that continuing
    may produce unfavorable results or a failed print.
    I think I wouldn’t over do it though. If a file has issues then let the user know so they can fix it.
    You could incorporate some basic “fix” abilities but Pathio doesn’t need to be a
    “do everything” program. Stay focused on what its main mission is!!

I run all models through Netfabb before ever loading them into my slicers.
    I get most of my files from customers so there is no telling what you’ll get!
    Generally Netfabb can fix most issues. Sometimes I’ll use something else
    or run the model into Fusion360 if appropriate to fix.
    Sometimes I just have to tell the customer the issues and let them take care of it.

2 Likes

1 In most cases I’m checking the models I want to print.
2 I think when loading the STL there should be a warning and a selection what to do.
Continue without change or cancel or a built-in repair. Perhaps a link or connection to an online repair program.
3 Having a broken model I use Paint 3D to repair it. If that is not possible I try to get it repaired with FreeCad or Fusion 360

1 Like

• Yes, i frequently check models i create, for manifold and no self intersections

• Absolutely? If Pathio knows the file isn’t going to process correctly, why on earth would it NOT tell me?
    • I would assume that Pathio would perform this check upon model import, not at slicing time. A popup window, or notice, even windows action center message (i hate) would be better than nothing.

• I normally run the model through Netfabb, although if the automated mesh repair tools do not work well, i will import the mesh into Rhino, and correct it manually.

Other programs have the ability to use voxels to “shrink wrap” an object, i could see something similar being implemented in the future, to correct otherwise unfixable models.

2 Likes