Pathio Users

We need your help: Manual supports

We have received considerable feedback regarding manual supports and additional support options.
Thread 1 Thread 2

This is a feature that we are really excited to look into but we need your help.
We would really appreciate any feedback and suggestions relating this functionality.

The key areas of interest to us currently are:

• What would be your ideal workflow be for adding supports?
  • Is there any information current slicers do not provide that you feel would help?
  • Are there any other functions relating to supports you would like to see?

Thank you in advance for your feedback! We are excited to see your suggestions.

2 Likes

Personally, I think S3D Nailed it with custom supports.

This is my workflow:
First I like to have the software generate supports so I can see where it thinks I need them and then I can decide I don’t like it. So then I want to click on the supports I want to remove. After slicing I’ll notice the insane print time and start to get nervous about all the supports I removed. So then I want to go back in and easily add some support back in. :grinning:

I can’t think of any other info or functions I’d like to see relating to supports.

5 Likes

Yes, Simplify 3D’s method suits my workflow too. The functionality in Meshmixer is good too. The ability for the Slicer to identify (and highlight) overhangs, followed by automatic generation according to a set of preferences, then followed by user editing by adding or deleting supports would be the ultimate functionality.
Not easy to implement this functionality I’m sure.

3 Likes

Well, remember my desire for perimeter start/stop? i’d like to see something similar, just paint on the model, where you want supports.

I love S3D’s supports system, but sometimes, it absolutely sucks. Turn the support resolution way down, to let the auto-generation find all the little overhangs, then switch to manual, to delete areas you dont actually want (auto generated) supports at. you can be there all night, clicking tiny little square columns, cursing because as you click, the mouse moves, and you demolish the wrong one…

At a minimum, please give us a lasso selection tool if you go this route, or some way to manage possible large groups of finely dispersed auto-generated supports, en masse.

https://community.pathio.xyz/t/let-user-paint-the-exact-start-end-locations-of-the-walls/368/4?u=ubermeisters

4 Likes

I would love to see angled support. i think this is kind of a happy accident/bug for s3d. you can rotate the model and the support pillars are still pointing straight up.

however when you restore the original rotation of the model, the support pillars will remained angled.
hence you will be producing supports that are angled and sprout in the mid air/attaching to the side of the wall ever so slightly.

i’ve discovered this through a youtube video. suprisingly it works very, very well.

edit:
I would love to have a panel where you can specify the support angle, and place them on where you want without having to rotate the model manually (which is why i think this is not an intended “feature” but a bug in s3d). bonus for the ability to select a straight pillar and rotate it with a dial.

3 Likes

I think most of the slicers are not producing a specific gap distant but rather the gap must be divisible by the layer height resulting in either the gap is too far or too near the model. I wish to see sub-layer interface/contact area, where the gap distant can be specified to an exact distant instant of number of layers. this will result in highly optimized support interfacing/contact layer where it is not too hard to remove and not too much drooping.

1 Like

Plenty of info about S3D supports. Lots of good stuff there.

For me it is tree support structures.

Flashprint does a decent job with tree supports. These can be extremely handy at times.

1 Like

+1 for tree supports. I prefer this method, as it keeps the support from affecting the model, and this with good interface layer control. Support blocking, or from build plate etc are niceties, as would being able to highlight an area and prioritise the support within specific target areas.

In my early days, I’d create a second CAD model which was a tree like support structure, and add a third as an interface layer, as the OEM slicer was so poor and couldn’t do interface layers. It also meant I could use inexpensive filament for the majority of the support (same as model) and use a different (second) material for the interface layer.

Re workflow, place model auto generate support, look at visualisation and tweak to suit. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

S3D is still the most convenient workflow I am Aware of at the Moment. What also has to be considered is the Bonding of the support structure to the bed. For example a designated raft below the support structures would be nice. Also tree supports of Course because you are able to save a lot of material.
What S3D does not and was already mentioned is some Kind of Multi selection tool enabling us to remove unwanted support Areas all at once after automatic Generation. Otherwise it takes forever Customizing them by clicking Tiny columns.
A choice between bed only / everywhere is needed 100%, too.

3 Likes

I really like Curas tree supports for organic models. And that it highlights overhangs. The support pillar paradigm seems fragile to me. The thought of my 24 hour print depending on giant tall skinny pillars to hole up a tiny bit in mid air makes me nervous. At least the tree support is a fairly sturdy structure that resists being knocked over.

4 Likes

I am not a S3D user (will never be). I am not a Cura User. I am not a Ideamaker user. I am not a craftware user. I am not a Sli3r user.

I use all of them and try to squizzee best from them.

Probable Support structure workflow

1. Devise an algorithm which will tilt (P.S - orient) the model automatically at the most suitable angles in X , Y and Z direction which does not require support or minimum support structure at the most. Idea is to not have the supports at all. If orienting a model does not require any support or minimising support, why to go for it. But for an average user and in general for any user , it is an iterative task to minimise support.

2. Generate automatic support structure (usual trick). At this point, group support structures adjacent to each other. When user hovers the mouse button upon support structure, (ie. particual group or individual support depending on user selected option in preferences dialog) there should be a floating + (plus) and - (minus) sign. Clicking on minus should remove support(s) / plus should add more of it.

3. Let there be two views side by side. One for display of support + object and another for object only. User should be able to rotate point of view (repeat view and not object) of each view port independently.

4. Let each view port be avaialble after slicing for the user to see.

Will add more in case any idea pops up

2 Likes

I’ve had S3D for the longest time and had no idea you could do that! thanks.

2 Likes

Zortrax Z-Suite 2.1 custom supports are really good. I’d personally be keen for you to emulate that style of generate then add/remove additional by faces as necessary:

2 Likes

Hi all.

We would like to thank all of you who have contributed towards this topic.
We are pleased to announce that we have implemented Manual support as of our V0.6.0 Alpha.

We can’t wait for you to use the manual support feature and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

1 Like

While this reply is late to the game, I have used Stratasys printers in the past and I feel that their manual supports have still been the best I have used. I don’t have any screenshots to showcase, but their software is called Insight and there’s plenty of youtube tutorials. Its not the prettiest UI, but its feature-packed.

While unrelated, they also had an awesome z-seam placement feature where you could drag the line around the exterior of your model to place the z seam exactly where you wanted it.